Winter Safety: Coats and Car Seats
Hi, Moms! NuMama here for NuAngel, Inc. It's finally cold enough outside for our little ones to need a jacket or coat wherever we go! However, winter coats and car seats are two things that don't go together. In fact, using winter coats in car seats can seriously endanger your child's safety in the car!
Even if straps feel tight under a carseat, they may actually be dangerously loose: loose enough to make your child slip out of the carseat completely in the event of a crash. According to Safe Ride 4 Kids, "Bulky winter coats and car seats are a dangerous combination. Carseat technicians say to put nothing thicker than a sweatshirt on your child under the harness straps of a car seat." Wearing a coat in a carseat may put your child in a deadly situation.
So, how should you load and unload your kids on cold winter days? Safe Ride 4 Kids outlines awesome tips here:
- Dress the infant as if they were going to be indoors.
- Put them in their infant carrier.
- Secure harness straps nice and snug (remember if you can pinch the material together between your thumb and finger it’s too loose, as seen in the picture).
- Top them of with a hat and some blankets over the top of the harness straps and carry baby out to the car.
- As the car warms up you can remove blankets and replace them over baby when you arrive at your destination. This also helps ensure baby doesn’t get overheated.
For toddlers and preschoolers:
- Dress the child comfortably and put on their coat and hat for their walk out to the car.
- Take off the coat and buckle the child snugly in the harness straps.
- Put the coat on over the child. They can put their arms in the sleeves backwards. Or use blankets.
- The child can remove the layer(s) as the car warms up.
Need a blanket for your child until the car heats up? The NuAngel Large Receiving blanket is the perfect size to keep in your car for cold winter days! The blanket can be folded for babies and unfolded to completely cover the legs of your toddler or preschooler. The cotton flannel is soft, not bulky, and completely washable. Order yours here: https://nuangel.com/collections/receiving-blankets
Want more information on how to keep your kids safe in the car during winter months? Click on the links below:
Safe Ride 4 Kids: Winter Coats and Car Seats
Consumer Reports: The Dangers of Winter Coats and Car Seats
Today.com: Car seat safety: the winter coat mistake that can endanger your child
Let's spread the word and keep all kids safe and snug in their car seats this winter!